At Birchfield School, we strive to achieve the highest of standards for all children entrusted to our care whilst ensuring that they are equipped with the skills, knowledge and understanding to support their future learning. Key to our belief is a shared vision that writing is embedded effectively across the whole curriculum. As writers, we want our children to understand and value the power of language and ways in which it can be used alongside writing conventions to enable them to become rounded, purposeful, creative and imaginative writers.
Aims and Objectives
At Birchfield School we undertake to:
• develop an interest and enjoyment of writing
• develop children’s grammatical awareness and knowledge
• ensure that we all value the use of our own home language and the home language of others
• embed writing across our whole school curriculum
• ensure that children are provided with frequent opportunities to write independently
• use speaking and listening to develop our children’s spoken and written language
• equip our children with the skills to become successful writers
Teachers are given clear guidance on approaches to secure conceptual understanding, sequential knowledge development and progression in lessons, through effective CPD and planning support.